Sunday, April 19, 2015

When should you get rid of clothes in your closet?

How do you decide what to get rid of in your closet?

As a personal stylist I can help you with this!

I wish I had a closet that would store all of my clothes for winter and summer. This is one part I hate doing is through the closet and having to purge clothing and shoes but I need to be realistic.
I switched out my clothing from winter to spring/summer this past week and I found my bed and floors covered in clothing and shoes and bags. I went and got a big bin and started putting things in there that I no longer wanted or really have never used. I have tried to put all of my clothing in the closet and think maybe I will like it better next year or the year after. I am here to tell you it will not happen! Remember when you do this it finds it harder to find items you need.

So here are some rules I live by when cleaning out my closet:
(means getting rid of it!)

Clothing is stained!

I know it is your favorite blouse or pant and it has ink or bleach on it and you think putting it back in the closet is that I am going to wear it. No.. you are not. I have done this. I even did this with tee shirts.. oh I will only wear this during cleaning and then it is still sitting there....Get rid of these... Throw them out... don't donate them... If they are truly ruined then don't donate them. I take stained tees and make them into cleaning rags great for windows.

It Smells not quite right!

This is one of the things that need to be done before winter or summer storage. Clean your clothing! Some clothing materials will hold a certain smell to them. Try spritzing them and even after you wash them and they still smell it is time to get rid of it. There is always the possibility that it may other clothing in your closet smell.




Damaged! 

If you can not fix the clothing then get rid of it. Holes are a great example.. throw it out.. But a broken zipper or button can be fixed do it... don't hang it in your closet saying I will do it later it will never come and there goes another piece that you won't wear. Jeans can always be repaired.















Would you buy this same article of clothing now?

You went shopping and a cute dress has been hanging in your closet for a mere month... You look at it and ask yourself would I buy this now? If no get rid of it... The saying is if you have not worn it in 2 years get rid of it but ask yourself would I buy this today? If yes I would keep it.







It does not fit!

If you are waiting until you are going to lose weight to fit into items. This creates pressure to lose the weight so you can get into these pants or dress. Get rid of them and if items are to big get rid of it.. because it becomes to easy to gain weight because you have something that will fit. Use the space for items that look great on you now don't waste closet space.
**** I do buy clothing**** there are so many outlets that will give you money upfront for your clothing no consignment needed.


The fashion is not you.

Fashion says something about you without you having to say anything. So your style changes and there are clothing that is not your style. Get rid of pieces that are not you!


Clothing that has bad memories.
Have a suit that you wore when you lost your job. Coat that you wore when you had a hardship, breakup, loss. Toss it... it is not worth reliving the memory associated with the event. This is even the case if you were given a piece of clothing from a ex, family member or friend. Get rid of it there is no reason to keep reliving the painful past. Fill you closet with clothing that puts a smile on your face and makes you feel powerful!

Not in style anymore; Not Trendy
So there are trends that come and go. I like going with the trends but don't spend a lot of money on them so when they are out of style it is hard to get rid of them. If you think they look frumpy or dumpy and just are not your style anymore. Get rid of it!


You want to wear it but you never do.
You try them on and like them but or some reason you never pull them out of your closet to wear. You will never wear it. Use the space for clothing that you keep pulling out to wear.

Is it stretched out?
This will guarantee that you will look not pulled together and sure to be frumpy. Maybe pants that sag in the seat or sweater that is stretched out at the neck. Or it is piling. Bras that are just worn down, Missing wires.. get rid of it!

It is easy for me to say do this and that but sometimes it is hard to determine how to do this that is why I do recommend a personal stylist to get you through this and more then likely after a few sessions you will be able to do this your own.

It is as simple as this... 
What a difference just a few changes make.







Lisa the fashionista
lisathefashionista93@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment

Wearable Spring Trends

Welcome to my blog!  I love to talk fashion! I like to let everyone know what I am thinking.. good or bad in what I think is...